A M A R A N T H

The village of Amaranth was named by early pioneers after their former home of Amaranth Township, Ontario. Some of the early pioneers were Robert Johnson, Joe Cooper,and the Bernie Brothers. The first Post office opened in 1911. Cooper and Haddad opened a store in 1914 with many other businesses starting around then. Homesteads were granted on the grounds that one must live there for at least six months every year for three years and clear ten acres of land. Gypsum was found in the area and the first mine was started in 1928. As many as 50 to 60 men were employed at 35 cents per hour. A new mine was started in 1946 & closed down in 1964. There was farming in the area and winter fishing on Lake Manitoba.

Historical information courtesy of Gail Johnson



GJ
Federal elevator built in 1946 with Jake Nichol as the first agent. He held the job until 1958.

GJ
Our Lady of the Angels. opened in 1954

GJ
School, built in 1921 and destroyed by fire in 1953.

GJ *
Gypsum mine

GJ
first Gypsum mine 1930s

GJ

GJ
United Church opened in 1952

GJ
Haddads store 1937

GJ

GJ
Thori Finnbogasson standing in the doorway of his store and Post Office. Early 1930s
The store was later sold to the Clark family

BM
Lakeview Hotel, purchased by John and Cassie Huston in 1946 and operated by them until 1955

BM
1952

BF
Double Bar B Restaurant. Owned by Barb Pennycook and Barb Fletcher 1976-89

GJ
Nursing station 1922. Nurse Meikle 1921-23 and 1926-1930

GJ
The Falmouth school was 6 miles west of Amaranth

GJ