A R D E N

The town was originally named Arden Station and was truncated to Arden in 1897. There are three explanations offered for the name. One is that it was selected by Walter R. Baker, then General Manager of the Manitoba and Northwestern Railway, after the English country residence of a railway official named Stobart. The second is that it was named by an early surveyor, a native of the Ardennes region of France, due to its similarity to his home. The third possibility is that the name commemorates a cook who was part of an early construction gang in the area.

The Post office opened on December 1, 1884. The first Postmaster was M.E. Broughton, who held the position from 1884 until 1947.



P
1910

P
1920.

P

P

P



*

*

*
1929

*
1908

*
municipal office