The town was originally called Gillies. The name was changed to Blaine Lake on August 1, 1912.
The town was named for the lake just West of the town. The railway arrived in 1911.
The Post Office opened on May 1, 1903.
The first postmaster was Hugh Gillies, who served from 1903 to 1928.
Current population is 510.
The bodies of A. Willis Armstrong and his wife Hannah, owners of the Commercial Hotel in Blaine Lake, were found by their daughter Dorothy in their living quarters at the hotel on June 20, 1925. Mrs. Armstrong had a bullet hole behind her right ear. Her husband had shot her with a .45 calibre revolver and then turned the gun on himself. The coroner’s jury concluded that the tragedy was caused by the effects of homebrew obtained from a bootlegger. "Being of the opinion that the late A. W. Armstrong might have kept sober and thus refrained from committing this awful crime … we feel that public opinion demands a searching investigation into the matter of the source of homebrew in this district…. Should the investigation bring to light the party or parties who supplied the homebrew to the late Mr. Armstrong, we ask that they should be prosecuted." Dorothy and her brother Leslie (about 10 years old) went to live with relatives in St. Catherines, Ontario.
Historical information courtesy of Joan Champ