The town was named after J. Brownlee, a superintendant of the Moose Jaw divion of the CPR.
Post Office opened on December 1, 1907.
The first Postmaster was W.J. Wallace,who held the position from 1907 to 1912.
Current population is 104.
Jerry MacRoberts built the City Hotel in Brownlee in 1909. It contained a bar, restaurant, bowling alley, and dance hall. In 1911, Jim Conner took over the hotel and operated it until the bar was closed in 1915 due to Prohibition. In 1916, Charlie Yock bought the hotel and ran it as a boarding house. The hotel burned down on June 30, 1929 along with many other businesses along Brownlee's main street.
Historical information courtesy of Joan Champ