The stone and brick Carlyle Hotel was built in 1901 by Ben Hollonquist. A year later, a syndicate composed of J & E Abercrombie, Porteous, and others built the Del Monte Hotel across the street from the Carlyle. In 1913, a third storey was added to the Carlyle Hotel. Its name was changed to the Empire Hotel, then to the Arlington Hotel in 1916 by owner James Anderson. Businesses which operated out of the Arlington were the town butcher shop, a harness shop and a hardware store.
Historical information courtesy of Joan Champ