B E A C H   C O R N E R

When the territory was first opened to European settlement in the late 18th/late 19th centuries, pioneer families (many of German descent) claimed homesteads in the area. The identity of Beach Corner was born at a historically significant crossroads. It was established at the intersection where the Jasper Highway crossed the primary travel route connecting Alberta Beach (on Lac Ste. Anne) to Edmonton Beach (now known as Spring Lake).

One of the early settler families donated a few acres of land right at this junction, which locals naturally began calling "Beach Corner" because it sat on the main path toward the popular lake resort destinations.

A preaching station had existed in the area since the earliest settlement days, but the community solidified its presence when St. John’s Lutheran Church was officially registered and built its first structure at the southeast corner of the intersection in 1911. The church and surrounding community developed a rich German-Canadian identity tied to its Lutheran roots, traditions which many descendant families maintained for generations. The Post Office opened October 22, 1937, and closed on February 13, 1970. The first postmaster was Jorn Fuhr, who held the position until 1943.

Locals frequently referred to the immediate pocket around the church as "Blueberry" because of the abundance of wild blueberries growing in the area. When a local school was built, it adopted the name Blueberry School. This creates a lasting historical quirk: St. John’s Beach Corner Lutheran Church is actually located across from Blueberry School, rather than at the modern commercial hub of Beach Corner.

For decades, the old intersection served as a busy local hub. However, traffic patterns shifted drastically when the old Jasper Highway was replaced by a modern divided freeway (Highway 16) built a few kilometers to the north. As the major traffic bypassed the old junction, local businesses gradually relocated to sites adjacent to the new highway corridor. This left the historic church, its pioneer cemetery, and the school behind at the original crossroads (now the corner of Parkland Drive/old Highway 16A and Range Road 20).